Saturday, August 29, 2009

Material Matters 1 - cw


"Hey, are those chocolate?" I was asked numerous times the other evening as I cut out shapes during my son's Tae Kwon Do class. What a great idea I thought, but no, these are wax and will soon be bronze. This is the initial, super rough beginning phase of a jewelry series that will be quite sculptural in nature. Each piece is unique - I am making up the designs as I go and have several thoughts on the hanging method, from handmade chain to ribbon. It is fun to imagine jewelry in chocolate - I always loved those brightly colored candy necklaces when I was a kid. These will be cast at Shidoni Foundry which is a foundry for sculpture where I used to work. Then I will finish the metal work and apply patinas which is more work I truly love. Applying the chemicals and heat and watching the metal change is alchemy in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment